Thursday, August 4, 2011

X-Men Legacy #251

Cover by Mico Suayan,
Marte Gracia
X-Men Legacy #251 (June 22, 2011)
Writer: Mike Carey
Penciller: Khoi Pham
Inker: Tom Palmer, Craig Yeung, Nelson DeCastro
Colorist: Marte Gracia
Letterer: VC’s Cory Petit

My main question here is just who decided it would be a good idea to give Legion a foot-tall flattop hair cut? I was so distracted by this guy’s insane hair that I couldn’t really focus on the rest of the comic.

Also, I am still struggling with keeping all my X-Men straight. Rogue and Magneto were in this, both of which I  am vaguely familiar with, along with Dr. Xavier aka Patrick Stewart but look, this all means basically nothing to me. There is very little about the X-Men I understand and I’m just not that huge of a fan. For some reason, out of the entire Marvel Universe, I like them the least. Well, I probably dislike Spider-Man more but I haven’t read one of his comics yet so I’ll wait to pass total judgment on him.
 

Anyway, the plot of this comic followed a bunch of X-Men running around trying to get all of Legion’s escaped superhuman personas back into his psyche. In this issue, two are lose in London, of which is a replicating clone thing and the other a little girl who transfers emotions into pure energy. Eh.

Meanwhile, there’s this spooky looking guy called Styx is hanging out in the Paris catacombs and plotting some dastardly deeds. Look, I got nothing. It was an alright enough comic and the art was pretty awesome. There were really well-illustrated action sequences and expressive characters. The coloring was also fabulous, especially through Gracia’s use of lighting and shading. It was one of the best comics I’ve seen in terms of art lately.

But other than that, I finished this comic with no greater knowledge of the X-Men, no real interest in the next issue and no sense of even reading a comic today. The only thing I walked away with is a severe confusion as to who designed Legion’s hair. Seriously. Is that crucial to his character or can he get that taken care of?

1 comment:

  1. See I have to disagree with you on the Legion hair situation because of this guy? Paul Phoenix?
    http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Paul_Phoenix
    So it's awesome by association.

    ReplyDelete