Monday, October 31, 2011

Batgirl #2


Cover by Adam Hughes

Batgirl #2 (October 12, 2011)
Writer: Gail Simone
Penciller: Ardian Syaf
Colorist: Ulises Arreola
Letterer: Dave Sharpe
Inker: Vincente Cifuentes

Finally, a step in the right direction.

In order to celebrate Halloween as Batgirl, I’ve decided to read and review Batgirl #2 and I am very happy to say, it is a vast improvement over both my previous DC comic experience and Batgirl #1

This is my first Halloween in a store-bought costume. I feel weird.


While this is not the strongest Batgirl comic I’ve ever read, I definitely found it to be a lot more engaging and exciting than its predecessor. I feel like Gail Simone is starting to gain her footing in crafting the voice of a newly walking Barbara Gordon, though Barbara does have a very verbal, very to-the-moment inner monologue. But because I love Barbara so much, I don’t really mind.


This was an action-packed issue and, due to Batgirl’s momentary panicked lapse in Batgirl #1, she didn’t waste any time in chasing after the mysterious Mirror, fighting him both above the streets of Gotham and in a cemetery, and researching the hell out of this guy. It was all very exciting and definitely the Batgirl I know and love.

Syaf’s pencil work was really impressive and the fight scenes actually looked painful and exhausting. There were some silly moments that featured the still recovering Batgirl slamming into objects and then getting up like nothing happened though she does mention her bruised and battered ribs and inability to take another hit. Yet, she looked pretty okay and was even able to go on a pleasant date with her physical therapist the next day. I avoid dates if I’m even the slightest bit headachy but then again, I am not a well-trained vigilante. Barbara has a much stronger pain tolerance than I could ever have, I guess. And I suppose she didn’t want to appear rude to her stupidly handsome physical therapist. I question your priorities sometimes, Barbara.

I also found the backstory to the Mirror enlightening just because I was anxious to know just who this guy was. Upon learning his warped reasoning for compiling a list of victims and over-the-top ways in which to kill them, however, I found him to be rather trite and weak. He really isn’t anything I haven’t seen numerous times before in comic books though he does have an awesome atmosphere,

Nonetheless, Simone managed to make him still interesting, though I am getting a little tired of her abrupt cliffhangers. I know I will keep reading this series though I hope the Mirror becomes more dynamic rather than descend into a cliché.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you'd seen the Batgirl New 52's. I had seen Issue one at a comic store a few days ago and it was such a departure from the problems of Catwoman 1 and 2 that I thought you'd like it. I'll have to check out issue 2. I'm a newbie when it comes to comics, but I'm already a fan of Gail Simone, the little I've seen of her Wonder Woman comics is...well, wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TrishLoyd Gail Simone is pretty fabulous. I would suggest picking up her work with Birds of Prey; her writing of Oracle and Huntress are great. I was most disappointed by the loss of Oracle with the New 52 re-launch. Simone's new Batgirl is definitely worth a look however.

    ReplyDelete